Volunteering area: People care
Short description: Educate. is a grassroots non-profit organisation that works to empower children and young people in Honduras through supporting community-driven initiatives focused on education.
Educate. provides opportunities for ambitious, high-potential youth from low-income backgrounds to pursue secondary and tertiary education, and we work to support locally led spaces of community engagement. In the rural coffee-growing department of Trinidad, Santa Barbara we run a Youth Center and Public Library, a high school and university scholarship programme, and ongoing leadership and youth empowerment programmes on themes such as arts, computer literacy, environmental protection, gender and sexual health and rights, and communication and storytelling, as well as peer-to-peer mentorship and tutoring. In a country deeply affected by political and social crises, educate. believes in the power of young people to drive long-lasting change in their communities.
Main activities will include: You’ll be involved in running programmes with and for our community of local youth, supporting with fundraising and project administration, carrying out impact assessments, and seeing the direct impacts of your work throughout your time with us.
- Teaching and organizing activities and trainings with children and youth at the educate. Youth Center. This can be around arts, theatre, sports, environment, gender, creative writing or other themes, depending on your area of expertise.
- Visiting and working with our network of primary schools in the surrounding villages to lead activities in the educate. libraries
- Supporting our impact measurement processes by visiting communities to carry out surveys and interviews with project participants such as students and families at our network of libraries.
- Help write fundraising applications and grants for educate.’s scholarship programme, Youth Center programmes and library initiatives and developing narrative reports about projects happening in Honduras to share with donors.
- Support with the organization and carrying out of monthly “Literacy Day” events, organized together with teachers at the educate. libraries and at the Youth Center.
- Support with the communication of educate.’s work through developing articles, blog posts, video and other creative media.
We are looking for a long-term volunteer (10 months) to come and work with us in Honduras as an integral part of our team on the ground.
The role is 35-40 hours per week, with 2 days off per week, and 2 weeks of holidays every 90 days for travel/visa runs.
We are flexible when it comes to starting dates, but need at least 1-2 months’ notice.
More information: educate-ngo.com